Seeing through a glass darkly...

and some days are darker than others...

Name:
Location: United States

Please refrain from identifying me by name in your comments! Thank you :-)

Sunday, February 04, 2007

St. Therese delivers again!

I was reading some of the last conversations of St. Therese tonight and came upon this. Her imagery speaks directly to what I was trying to explain in my last post.

I've always said she's sneaky! It is comforting to find that her thoughts match my own, not to mention humbling.

"For example, if I were to say to myself: I have acquired a certain virtue, and I am certain I can practice it. For then, this would be relying upon my own strength, and when we do this, we run the risk of falling into the abyss. However, I will have the right of doing stupid things up until my death, if I am humble and remain little. Look at little children: they never stop breaking things, tearing things, falling down, and they do this even while loving their parents very, very much. When I fall in this way, it makes me realize my nothingness more, and I say to myself: What would I do and what would I become, if I were to rely on my own strength?"

That's it! Over the past month as I've mulled over why I do things that I know are sinful and as such cause Christ to suffer and questioned why it is that I hurt the one who is Love Himself so willingly. Trying to rely on my own strength I recognize like Therese my limitations. A little child is humble because there is no other choice. It is truly a gift when as an adult one is able to recognize and embrace her utter reliance on Christ and her true identity as a child of God.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura H. said...

I like that passage. It also speaks to what I am going through. Thank you for sharing it.

05 February, 2007 08:28  
Blogger Adoro said...

Thank you so much for this. You have no idea.

God bless you!

01 April, 2007 16:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home